Friday, November 13, 2009

What's In A Name?


I must admit, up until last year, my thoughts and feelings about changing my last name if I were ever to get married caused me much angst. I mean, this is my name. I've had it all my life. It's a part of who I am, and besides it's a pretty cool name…Stacey Strickler….has a nice ring to it…don't you think? Of course I considered hyphenating, but after talking to a friend she helped me to understand that when you say "I do", the two become one and you agree to take it all (including the name). I've embraced it and am looking forward to becoming a Mrs. and taking his last name as my own.

Following is a name change checklist that will help you (and me) in making the transition from Miss to Mrs.

Social Security
Drivers License
Passport
Voter Registration
Auto Registration
401K accounts
Car insurance/registration
Billing accounts (credit cards, cell phone, electric, water, gas)
Club memberships
Dentist's and Doctor's office
Employment records
Email addresses
Homeowners's/renter's insurance
IRA accounts
Leases
Life insurance
Loans
Medical insurance
Other insurance
Pension plan records
Post office
Property titles
Safe-deposit box
School records
Social security
Stocks and bonds
Subscriptions
Wills/trusts

3 comments:

.:Then Comes Wife:. said...

I took me a minute...but I finally could read the pic...lol!

Great blog...I will follow.

Then Comes Wife: A Manhattan Wife's Journey Back to Tradition

Stacey Strickler said...

That's funny...thank you Melanie..

Aarika said...

I like your friend's stance on changing names. You do agree to become one and what better way to signify it than with a name change.

However, changing your name is such a headache. I've been married for over a year and still haven't changed everything. With some companies it's easy. You just tell them you changed your name. Other companies want you to fax them all kinds of records and documents.

Maybe I can make that my goal for next year - taking your list and changing my name on all of my accounts.